Guidance and Counseling Office Announcements
Juniors - Registration for College Connection Fall 2018 will begin April 23, 2018 with a deadline of Friday, August 28, 2018. Please see the March/April Junior Newsletter and Course Selection Guide for additional information.
Give Back to Utica: Internship Opportunity
The Community Foundation of Herkimer & Oneida Counties, Inc., through the Give Back to Utica Fund, presents an exciting opportunity.
A paid, full-time summer internship at the Utica Public Library is being offered to current high school juniors and seniors who live in Herkimer or Oneida counties. The student intern will have the opportunity to see how the modern public library functions as a vital community organization. The internship will also allow the student to learn about the wide array of activities that take place in the library, and the variety of skills library personnel employ in business management, human services, retail, entertainment and education.
To be considered for the Give Back to Utica internship, high school juniors and seniors who live in Herkimer or Oneida counties must submit an essay of 1,500 words or fewer by 3 p.m. on Friday, May 11, 2018. The essay should answer the following questions:
- How did growing up in the Utica area benefit you?
- How did growing up in this area influence the person you have become?
- How did growing up in this area shape your worldview?
- What is your vision of what the Utica area can be and how can you “give back” to help make that happen?
Please send the following documents to Briana Greco, development coordinator at The Community Foundation, by email to email@example.com or by mail to 2608 Genesee Street, Utica, NY 13502:
- A separate document with the student’s name, home address, class year, school district, college/university he/she is planning to attend and proposed major
- Completed consent form (attached)
By submitting an essay, the student is agreeing to allow his/her work to be published and excerpted in local media and by The Community Foundation.
Summer Youth Employment Opportunities
Pending funding, SABA and Workforce Development will have paid Summer Employment for eligible students in the following areas:
- Construction I and Construction II at OHM BOCES
- Healthcare at Mohawk Valley Health System
- IT and Cyber Skills
- Meet the income guidelines for TANF - see attached TANF Guidelines
- Complete the Oneida County Employment 2018 Preliminary Application and SABA application for each program of interest
- Be able to provide own transport to and from job site
- Be at least 14 years old by July 1
- Participate in an interview at their school district
Selections will be made based on interviews, completed paperwork, school recommendations and the meeting of income requirements.
Students will earn $10.40 per hour.
Interested students may pick up applications in the counseling office. Applications will be due May 1.
BOCES Summer Camps
BOCES is offering free Summer Camps for students entering grades 7-10. Camps will run 8:30am-3:00pm, June 25-28. Students can choose from the following: Introduction to Policing Procedures, Introduction to Cybersecurity, Self Enhancement, Creative Cooking. Registration Forms are available in the counseling office and are due Friday, May 25, 2018.
The January/February Newletter is attached below. Highlights include:
- College Night for Juniors - Thursday, February 15 at 6pm. in the high school library. Please RSVP by 2/12.
- Syracuse National College Fair - Thursday, March 15 - permission slips are available in the counseling office
SAT and SAT Subject Test and Registration Dates
2017-18 test and registration dates are posted in the link to the right. Please note that an August administration date has been added.
College Credits for Dual Enrollment
Seniors - College credits earned through dual enrollment with any college or university or earned any other way whiile in high school will not appear on your high school transcript, which includes only high school credits. If you want your intended college to be informed of any college credits earned, you must contact the college through which the credits were earned and request that they send a transcript to your intended college. MVCC transcripts can be requested at www.mvcc.edu/registrar/transcripts.