Guidance and Counseling Office Announcements
We are pleased to share with you that the New York Mills Jr./Sr. High School will offer Driver’s Education to our students this summer. The program will run July 5th – August 15th; days of instruction follow the summer school schedule. The cost of the course will be $190. Classes will begin at 8:00am and will consist of classroom and driving instruction. Driving times, which will be in the morning, will be assigned at the first class. Information on attendance is included in the summer school brochure, which is available in the counseling office and on the counseling page on the school website.
To qualify for the program, students must:
- Be 16 years old or older and have a valid learner’s permit or driver’s license on the first day of instruction
- Complete and return the attached OHM BOCES High School Summer School registration form. Forms are also available in the counseling office and on the counseling page on the school website.
- Attach a check for $190 made payable to New York Mills Jr./Sr. High School with the completed application
- Attach a copy of the learner’s permit or license with the completed application
Space is limited. Spots will be available on a first-come, first-served basis. The deadline for registration is June 27th at 12:00pm.
Middle and High School Summer School Information
Registration begins June 1, 2018
Registration Deadlines: Middle School - June 21 at 12 pm
High School - June 26 at 3pm
Please keep in mind that we do not provide busing. Students must provide their own transportation.
Registration paperwork and additional information are available in the counseling office and below.
High School Site: TR Proctor High School
Middle School Site: OHM BOCES Middle Settlement Academy
Dates and Times for Courses:
July 5, 2018 - August 15, 2018
Thursday-Friday the first week and Monday-Thursday the remaining weeks, with the exception of Monday-Wednesday the final week
Classroom Periods: High School Middle School
Period 1 8:00-9:40 8:10-9:50
Period 2 9:50-11:30 10:00-11:40
July 30, 2018 - August 15, 2018 12:00-2:00pm Proctor High School
Tutorial will run 4 days per week: Monday-Thursday the first two weeks and Monday-Wednesday the final week.
Regents Exam Dates: August 15 Earth Science Performance Test; August 16 & 17 Proctor High School, Utica – all remaining exams
Who Must Attend?
Junior High - Held at OHM BOCES Middle Settlement Academy
- All students failing (final average of 64 or lower) one or two of the following courses, must take and pass those classes in summer school to be eligible for promotion: Math, English, Science, Social Studies
- All students failing three of the above-listed courses may either be retained in that grade or promoted with summer school requirements, depending on Principal’s decision.
- All students failing all four of the above-listed courses will be retained in that grade High School – Held at TR Proctor High School, Utica
- Any students failing (final average of 64 or lower) any of the following courses are strongly encouraged to register for and attend summer school, as we cannot guarantee that we can schedule the failed courses the following year: English, Math, Social Studies, Science
- Additionally, in order to be eligible for promotion to the next grade level students must have at least 5 ½ credits to be considered a sophomore and 11 credits to be considered a junior. Students that do not meet these requirements will not be allowed to take courses at that grade level.
- **We will offer Driver Education this year. There will be a fee for the program. Details to follow**
SUNY Upstate Information Sessions
Greetings from SUNY Upstate! SUNY Upstate will be hosting Information Sessions this summer for Medical Imaging & Radiation Therapy (multiple dates), Physical Therapy (July 27th) and Physician Assistant (July 27th). It's an opportunity for prospective students to learn about the careers, our programs, along with admissions requirements and the application process. A tour is included.
We offer a 3+3 Physical Therapy Early Admission program (http://www.upstate.edu/chp/programs/pt/how-to-apply/early_3-3_chp.php) and three of the seven affiliate colleges are located in Syracuse, so students considering the 3+3 DPT program and Le Moyne (https://connect.lemoyne.edu/portal/summer-family-fridays), Syracuse University (https://www.syracuse.edu/admissions/visit-tour/campus-visits/) and/or SUNY ESF (http://www.esf.edu/admissions/firstyear/visit.asp) may want to visit one of the affiliate colleges on July 27th and then attend our 2:00 pm information session for PT.
More information, including registration, may be found online: http://www.upstate.edu/prospective/events/specialevents.php
Juniors - Registration for College Connection Fall 2018 will begin April 23, 2018 with a deadline of Friday, August 28, 2018. Please see the March/April Junior Newsletter and Course Selection Guide for additional information.
SAT and SAT Subject Test and Registration Dates
2017-18 test and registration dates are posted in the link to the right. Please note that an August administration date has been added.
College Credits for Dual Enrollment
Seniors - College credits earned through dual enrollment with any college or university or earned any other way whiile in high school will not appear on your high school transcript, which includes only high school credits. If you want your intended college to be informed of any college credits earned, you must contact the college through which the credits were earned and request that they send a transcript to your intended college. MVCC transcripts can be requested at www.mvcc.edu/registrar/transcripts.