Guidance and Counseling Office Announcements
The January/February Newletter is attached below. Highlights include:
- College Night for Juniors - Thursday, February 15 at 6pm. in the high school library. Please RSVP by 2/12.
- Syracuse National College Fair - Thursday, March 15 - permission slips are available in the counseling office
Syracuse National College Fair
Thursday, March 15
9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
SRC Arena, Onondaga Community College
Admissions Representatives from hundreds of colleges and universities will be in attendance. This event is free! A counseling and resource center and workshops about financial aid and other college admission related information will be available. Register to attend, obtain your bar code and find details on colleges attending at: https://www.nacacfairs.org/attend/national-college-fairs/syracuse-national-college-fair/
We will provide a bus this year for sophomores or juniors who wish to attend the fair. The bus will leave at approximately 8:00 am and return by the end of the school day. Permission forms for attending are available in the counseling office and are due by Thursday, March 8th. There will not be any exceptions to this deadline as we need to plan appropriately. Attendance number will be limited to bus capacity, including chaperones.
Mid-Winter Break Into Careers Intership Opportunity
School and Business Alliance (SABA) is coordinating 20-hour unpaid internships to be done during mid-winter break (Saturday, February 17 - Saturday, February 24) for eligible juniors and seniors. Students participate in the internship in a career area of their choice and will receive a Certificate of Completion. In order to qualify students must:
*Have demonstrated excellent attendance
*Provide their own transportation
*Be approved by their school counselor
Applications are available in the counseling office or by the link below and are due by Wednesday, January 24. Please call 768-3395 if you have any questions.
Streams to Success
- WHAT: One day visit/ tour/ job shadow for female students in grades 6-12 interested in science, technology, engineering, math, research, or art (graphic design).
- WHEN: Wednesday, March 28, 2018, 9am-1pm. Lunch is provided.
- WHO: This is an initiative spearheaded by Dr. Donald Telesca, a physicist at AFRL. It is a AFRL Information Directorate Federal Women’s Program.
- WHY: Women currently account for only 13% of employees at AFRL in technical career fields (and only 28% of total employees there are women). This program seeks to give young women exposure to these career fields, introduce them to professional women that are successful in technical fields (many with PhDs), and to give them the confidence to pursue STEM-related careers.
- Application can be found on the OHM BOCES website by selecting Instructional Services, clicking on School-to-Career Programs, and then clicking on STREAMS to Success Application on the left-hand menu. Or type in this address: https://www.oneida-boces.org/Page/2443. Applications are also available in the counseling office
- Transportation is not provided. Must be provided by student/ family, unless the school chooses to provide a bus for interested students.
- Deadline is February 9, 2019
To turn in applications or if you have any questions:
Fax: (315) 793-8531
SAT and SAT Subject Test and Registration Dates
2017-18 test and registration dates are posted in the link to the left. Please note that an August administration date has been added.
College Credits for Dual Enrollment
Seniors - College credits earned through dual enrollment with any college or university or earned any other way whiile in high school will not appear on your high school transcript, which includes only high school credits. If you want your intended college to be informed of any college credits earned, you must contact the college through which the credits were earned and request that they send a transcript to your intended college. MVCC transcripts can be requested at www.mvcc.edu/registrar/transcripts.