General Course Description
Required Courses and Credits:
- Each student in the New York Mills School District is required to participate in a full year of physical education from grades 7-12. To be eligible for senior graduation a student must complete 2 credits in physical education. Each year from grades 9-12 is worth ½ credit toward the graduation requirement. Students must pass each of these 4 years to gain the 2 needed credits for commencement.
Physical Education at New York Mills is based upon the following goals: developing and maintaining positive attitude toward movement and sport; developing a higher level of competence in skills and knowledge of movement and sport; developing and maintaining an optimal level of personal fitness. The physical education curriculum is based on a program that includes individual sports, team sports, and fitness/wellness.
Track & Field
Presidential Fitness Test
Gymnasium- At the secondary level we will have the use of one (1) gymnasium to be shared by both boys and girls instructors. The gym has a divider that splits in the center.
Athletic Fields- We will have the use of all athletic fields for physical education classes.
Outdoor facilities include:
- 1 Regulation Football Field
- 1 Regulation Baseball Field
- 1 Regulation Softball Field
- 1 Regulation Field Hockey Field
- 1 All Weather Track
- Each student will be scheduled to meet three times per week for physical education class. Class periods will last for 39 minutes. This includes time for changing, attendance , warm-up, instruction and skill development.